Sunday, June 10, 2012

Angels Among Us


Where do I begin?  Do you see the picture above?  I know your first reaction is  " WOW... this was taken in the 80's...nice hair."  My first reaction..."WOW....these girls are beautiful!  This was taken a long time ago."

The brunette woman in the photo is named Amanda and I knew her as Mandy.  Mandy was someone I looked up to and admired.  I remember thinking she was so pretty like a model. Not only was she pretty but she was intelligent and kind.  I remember when she graduated college and was planning to attend law school.   I remember her red sports car.  I remember her smile!  I also remember the last hug she gave me.

Little did I know that hours after saying good-bye to Mandy, she was going to become an angel at 21 years old.  Less than 2 months from her 22nd birthday.



I remember the next morning at school, Mandy's sister wasn't there which was strange because she never missed school.  Mandy's sister was my best friend.  I remember the teacher sitting us down and telling us the news.   I was in 3rd grade at the time and didn't understand death.  I think a lot of the kids didn't understand as well because we carried on like it was a normal day.

Later that day, my mother picked me up from school and immediately got the news as she walked in to my classroom.  I will never forget my mother's face.  She looked frozen and shocked with tears in her eyes. Immediately, my mother grasped my hand and rushed me to the car.  We were headed to Mandy's parents house.  On the way there, we made a pit stop for some roses.



 As we approached the house, the driveway was flooded with vehicles, and as we walked into the house I saw pictures of Mandy on easels.  My mom immediately embraced Mandy's mom.  Ohhhh... I will never forget that hug.  I will never forget the tears too.  Right there at the moment in my kid-mind, I knew it was SERIOUS!



Mandy is Kimber Lee's sister.   Kimber Lee has been a part of my life since the age of 5.  Mandy was killed 20 years ago by a drunk driver. She had just graduated college weeks before her death.  Her funeral was beautiful as the church was packed and I mean PACKED with people.



At the burial, I was able to give Kimber Lee a hug and our necklaces got STUCK together.  Kimber Lee was wearing her sister's necklace and I was wearing my cross that I had just received from Holy communion. We were so tangled together that our mother's had to help us out.  This moment-- I felt, was a sign from Mandy.  That our life will always be tangled together and it's true till this day!







You're probably wondering why I'm sharing this story.  It's a true story and it's something that's impacted my life deeply.  Drinking and Driving is no joke and something not to take lightly. After this tragedy, Kimber's mom became a public figure for MADD (Mother's Against Drunk Driving.)  Her mother also fought the  North Carolina law system to decrease the drinking limit.  I think the person that took Mandy's life was extremely intoxicated but didn't hit the drinking limit so couldn't be charged!  RIDICULOUS! Right!  If you take your drivers ed course in NC, till this day you'll see Kimber's mom featured in the videos talking about drinking and driving.  Kimber's mom is a strong woman!  She's like my second momma and love her so much.

Kimber's College Graduation


Also, Kimber Lee is getting married in about 3 months. Ohhh... time is ticking!! 



During this wedding process, her sister has been on my mind.  She would be so proud and happy for Kimber and she would have loved JOSH! I know the day of the wedding she will be there in spirit enjoying the joining of Kimber Lee and Josh! 

No comments:

Post a Comment