Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Book Review: Original Sin by Lisa Desrochers

Original Sin
Blurb:

Luc Cain was born and raised in Hell, but he isn't feeling as demonic as usual lately—thanks to Frannie Cavanaugh and the unique power she never realized she had. But you can't desert Hell without consequences, and suddenly Frannie and Luc find themselves targeted by the same demons who used to be Luc's allies.

Left with few options, Frannie and Luc accept the protection of Heaven and one of its most powerful angels, Gabe. Unfortunately, Luc isn't the only one affected by Frannie, and it isn't long before Gabe realizes that being around her is too...tempting. Rather than risk losing his wings, he leaves Frannie and Luc under the protection of her recently-acquired guardian angel.

Which would be fine, but Gabe is barely out the door before an assortment of demons appears—and they're not leaving without dragging Luc back to Hell with them. Hell won't give up and Heaven won't give in. Frannie's guardian exercises all the power he has to keep them away, but the demons are willing to hurt anyone close to Frannie in order to get what they want. It will take everything she has and then some to stay out of Hell's grasp.

And not everyone will get out of it alive.



Original Sin was the second book in the Personal Demons trilogy. I read this book in 2 DAYS. I forced myself to finish it - not only because I have a review schedule to get to, but also because of the intensity of the situations in the book.

Luc was the demon-turned-mortal and I kind of missed him as a demon. He was more interesting when he was able to shoot hellfire through his fists. He was also hotter that way. But alas, Frannie's love changed him. Frannie who was getting more and more frustrated with the gift she was given, not knowing how to control it.

Then, there was Gabe. He left in the beginning of the book and didn't come back until it was too late for Frannie's guardian angel and he'd lost his wings. I was so happy when Gabe came back. Just as Frannie feels at peace when he's around, I, in turn, love reading about him. Lisa Desrochers did a great job in bringing Gabe to life where I can actually feel at peace when reading about him and Frannie.

When tragedy hit Frannie, I was so sad, I was on the verge of tears. Once again, the author did an amazing job conveying the pain and the emptiness inside Frannie's heart. Not only was her heart broken, but one of her friends died.
Frannie: "Was it all just an act? Did you ever care about me at all?"
That quote above was one of the saddest in this book. I feel like EVERYONE can relate to it at one point in their lives. *sniff*

Finally, I just wanted to say something about Frannie's guardian angel. Oh. My. Goodness. I was so annoyed and irritated with him! He was supposed to be protecting Frannie and he let himself get distracted? He was weak. And now he lost his wings, and became.... yep, I predicted it from the beginning... a demon. (gah!)

Check out my favorite scenes :)
Luc: "For the love of all things unholy, what is it with you celestials? Will you please learn how to knock?"
Gabe: "And miss the show?"
Luc: "For an Angel, you're quite the pervert."
Gabe: "Some things are worth losing your wings for."
Rhenorian: "Fine. Call your Pit Bull off, Lucifer."
Luc: "She's never answered to me. You're on your own."
Rhenorian: "Son of Satan!"
Have you read Original Sin? I already have Last Rite (thanks Jen!) and hopefully I can read it VERY SOON. I'll try to get ahead on my review schedule so I would have a window of free days to read the last book! Talk to me in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment