Thursday, April 26, 2012

13 Stress Relievers

The whole month of April have been the most stressful month I've had so far. I've been close to losing it many times or just simply exploding and wreaking havoc. Thankfully, I've seem to have held it together if I'm still posting right now :) So, I thought maybe it might be helpful to Google search some way to relieve stress and share my one personal way to relieve stress. Check it out!


1. Exercise
Many people exercise to control weight and get in better physical condition to become more healthy or physically attractive, but exercise and stress management are also closely linked. Exercise provides a distraction from stressful situations, as well as an outlet for frustrations, and gives you a lift via endorphins as well. This article can tell you more about the stress management benefits of exercise, and help you get more active in your daily life.
Arianne: I started an ab exercise routine every night before bed and after I do them, I feel quite accomplished and happy.




2. Sex
You probably already know that sex is a great tension reliever, but have you officially thought of it as a stress-relieving practice? Perhaps you should. The physical benefits of sex are numerous, and most of them work very well toward relieving stress. Sadly, many people haveless sex when their stress levels are high. Learn how to avoid this trap!


3. Laughter
The physical act of laughing releases tension and brings positive physiological changes. Finding ways to work more laughter into your day can be an effective route to stress relief.
Arianne: I am always silly when I'm around my creative writing group. They like to laugh AT me and I like to welcome it. It makes me feel better.




4. Time Management
Honing your time management skills can allow you to minimize the stressors that you experience, and better manage the ones you can't avoid. When you are able to complete everything on your "to do" list without the stress of rushing or forgetting, your whole life feels easier.
Arianne: This is hard when I'm not only worrying about my own time, but others as well.




5. Eat a Balanced Diet
A poor diet can bring greater reactivity toward stress. A healthy diet can bring greater physical and emotional wellness. Find some simple go-to meals and snacks, and feel less stressed in your daily life.
Arianne: I fail miserably at this no matter what :(


6. Reduce Caffeine Intake
Consuming caffeine too late in the day can affect sleep quality, which impacts stress levels. Consuming too much caffeine in general can make you more emotionally reactive to stress. Learn how much caffeine is too much.
Arianne: I'm avoiding coffee at work. I don't know if it is working.




7. Don't Procrastinate
Putting off a stressful or labor-intensive project can only increase the stress you experience. Learn how to stop procrastination can allow you to get done what you need to do, without the added stress of rushing for a deadline.
Arianne: I don't get stress when I procrastinate, which is not very often. I get really stressed when others procrastinate and my grade depends on them getting their job done and correctly.


8. Sleep, But Don't Oversleep
You can't sleep away your stress or hide in bed. Similarly, you can't stay up all night and get everything done (or at least, not well). Get your rest, even take a 20 minute nap if necessary but don't go to extremes! 
Arianne: I haven't been sleeping a full 8 hours so that is something I need to work on.




9. Do Something Creative
Paint, garden, cook, feng shui, write haikus… No matter what you choose, doing something fun and hands on will make you feel self-satisfied and have a positive perspective for dealing with other things.
Arianne: I consider blogging and creative writing my outlets. Or singing my favorite songs. Currently, I am in love with Adele's "Someone Like You."




10. Limit Your Internet and Cell Phone Use
Technology makes it incredibly easy to keep in touch with people. It is also an incredibly easy way to drive us crazy! If you find the sound of your phone making you cringe there are two easy ways to handle it: Turn it off for a few hours or change the ringtone to something that always makes you smile. Limiting your internet use is the best way to cut down on mindless procrastination and free your time for better things.
Arianne: This is the reason I lack sleep because I am terrible at this, especially since I got a smart phone.


11. Start Your Day Positive
Make a habit of doing something you love first thing in the morning, can you think of a better way to start your day? Instead of rushing to work, watch an episode of your favorite show, read, do yoga or anything that will put you in good spirits for the rest of your day.
Arianne: I try to do this but sometimes I still fail. So, I just enjoy the moments when I'm doing my makeup and listening to music and think of positive things.




12. Hugs
Possibly the most effective way to instantly decrease stress, don't be shy with hugs! It sounds silly but try it and watch your troubles disappear!
Arianne: I really don't get enough of this.




13. And when all else fails, I do PINK.
Yes, Pink. I look at Pink things, think of Pink things, or maybe go to the store and look at pink products or anything pretty. I call it Pink Therapy. It makes me feel crazier than normal but in a way, it keeps me sane. It keeps me focusing on something other than my problems and as irritating as it sounds to others, Pink makes me feel better.




References: Items 1-12 were direct from the websites below.

http://stress.about.com/od/generaltechniques/tp/toptensionacts.htm
http://stress.about.com/od/tensiontamers/a/stressrelievers.htm
http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/25-instant-stress-relievers-2483638.html


What are your stress relievers? Do you do any of the steps above?

No comments:

Post a Comment