Monday, November 28, 2011

WHAT I DON'T LIKE ABOUT OTHER BLOGS

I just thought I'd share with you what I DON'T like about some blogs - technical stuff. Let me know in the comments if you have the same issues :)
  • Verification Code (CAPTCHA)
  • comment box with "Name, Email, URL, and comment"
  • unusually HUGE banners, fonts, pictures, etc.
  • page loads ssslllooowwwlllyyy....
  • too much content
  • no page tabs or contact info
  • too much words, not enough pictures
Verification Code
-Are you really that worried about bots leaving a weird comment on your blog? There is a quick solution: Disable anonymous posts. Unless there's a phenomenon I haven't heard about where bots actually have google accounts, then this solution should work, right?

UPDATE: I also don't like how some blogs have the comments on a pop-up window. Is it such a hassle to have it embedded in the post itself? When this is done PLUS the verification code, drives me nuts.

Comment Box with "Name, Email, URL, and Comment"
-You're asking for too much, seriously. Just use the regular comment box - it has all the information needed already. It's not like you even use the information you collect... Do you?

Unusually HUGE banners, fonts, pictures, etc.
-I understand the need for people to read the content of your blog. However, some blogs go overboard with gigantic fonts and pictures. And is it really necessary to take an entire page with just your banner? What's the benefit in that?

Page Loads ssslllooowwwlllyyy
-This kind of goes with the next point. If your page loads too slowly, I wouldn't be motivated to even wait to read your content.

Too Much Content
-Seriously, are those overflowing content on your blog necessary? All the ads, unnecessary information in the sidebar, too many buttons from other people's blogs. I thought blogs were supposed to be for entertainment and self-expression, not for profit. And even if it was, there are better ways to set up a blog.

No Page Tabs or Contact Info
-Page tabs are created to organize the content of your blog. They make the home page less cluttered and make you seem organized and that you actually spent time on your blog. As for contact info, some of us actually want to connect with you, so please, provide a contact info - whether have a contact form or directly paste your email somewhere in your blog - and please, don't make us look for it for half an hour.

Too Much Words, Not Enough Pictures
-I am from a generation that has a very short attention span. If you want me to stick around, entice my eyes with interesting pictures (and no, I'm not talking about naked people).

So, there you have it. What's your opinion?

No comments:

Post a Comment