Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Book Review: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Oh. My. Capitol.

This book was soooooo intense! There were so many things going on at the same time, so many surprises. I absolutely loved how I couldn't predict what would happen next!!

Katniss and Peeta came back to District Twelve as the victors of the latest Hunger Games. You would think Katniss would be free to go back to normal, right? Wrong. Sometime during the Hunger Games, Gale became her supposed cousin, which means they cannot be romantically involved. Isn't that just great.

Katniss considered running away many times...until Gale was whip-lashed  almost to his death. The writing was so amazing, I felt like I could almost see Gale in front of me. After this moment, Katniss decided to fight the Capitol and stay. Maybe start a revolution. That is, until the announcement of the third Quarter Quell.

The Quarter Quell is held every 25 years. Going on to its 75th year, the rules for it? The pool will come from the victors of each district. What did that mean, you ask? It meant Katniss was going back to the arena since she was the only female winner to ever come from District 12. She was devastated.

During the parade and interview, Cinna of course made Katniss the most memorable contestant. However, this time, he did it in direct rebellion against the Capitol. Before Katniss's tube went up to the arena, she saw Peacekeepers beat up Cinna almost to his death. Such merciless monsters!

The new arena was a big giant clock with lots of water. That was surely interesting, what with all the fog, blood rain, muttated monkies, etc. Absolutely insane arena.

Long story short, Katniss found a way to break out of the arena. The price? Peeta being taken by the Capitol. Who knows what they would do to him?!!!

I can't wait to read the final book: Mockingjay!

Check out some of my favorite quotes/scenes!
"Hey, Catnip."

"Hey, Gale," I say.

"Thought you'd be gone by now," he says

My choices are simple. I can die like quarry in the woods or I can die here beside Gale. "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay right here and cause all kinds of trouble."

"Me, too," Gale says. He just manages a smile before the drugs pull him back under.
"It's you, Katniss. Can't you see?" he says.

"What's me?" I say.

"Why they're all acting like this. Finnick with his sugar cubes and Chaff kissing you and that whole thing with Johanna stripping down." He tries to take on a more serious tone, unsuccessfully. "They're playing with you because you're so...you know."

"No, I don't know," I say. And I really have no idea what he's talking about.

"It's like when you wouldn't look at me naked in the arena even though I was half dead. You're so...pure," he says finally.

"I am not!" I say. "I've been practically ripping your clothes off every time there's been a camera for the last year!"

"Yeah, but...I mean, for the Capitol, you're pure," he says, clearly trying to mollify me. "For me, you're perfect. They're just teasing you."

"No, they're laughing at me, and so are you!" I say.
"So what should we do with our last few days?"

"I just want to spend every possible minute of the rest of my life with you," Peeta replies.
"You know, if you scratch, you'll bring on infection," says Finnick.

"That's what I've heard," I say. I go into the saltwater and wash off the blood, trying to decide which I hate more, pain or itching. Fed up, I stomp back onto the beach, turn my face upward, and snap, "Hey, Haymitch, if you're not too drunk, we could use a little something for our skin."

It's almost funny how quickly the parachute appears above me.
"It looks like you're decomposing," says Finnick. Bug I guess the itching wins out, because after a minute, Finnick begins to treat his own skin, too. Really, the combination of the scabs and the ointment looks hideous. I can't help enjoying his distress.

"Poor Finnick. Is this the first time in your life you haven't looked pretty?" I say.

"It must be. The sensation's completely new. How have you managed it all these years?" he asks.

"Just avoid mirrors. You'll forget about it," I say.

"Not if I keep looking at you," he says.

We slather ourselves down, even taking turns rubbing the ointment into each other's backs where the undershirt don't protect our skin. "I'm going to wake Peeta," I say.

"No, wait," says Finnick. "Let's do it together. Put our faces right in front of his."

Well, there's so little opportunity for fun left in my life, I agree. We position ourselves on either side of Peeta, lean over until our faces are inches from his nose, and give him a shake. "Peeta. Peeta, wake up," I say in a soft, singsong voice.

His eyelids flutter open and then he jumps like we've stabbed him. "Aa!"
Peeta: "If you die, and I live, there's no life for me at all back in District Twelve. You're my whole life. I would never be happy again." I start to object but he puts a finger to my lips. "It's different for you. I'm not saying it wouldn't be hard. But there are other people who'd make your life worth living."

No comments:

Post a Comment