Monday, December 26, 2011

Junk Miles by Liz Reinhardt Review

 This book was a great sequel to the first one!!! I was hooked! In many parts, it was so sad and brought me back so many memories of my one and only past relationship. At first, it didn't affect me, but later on, it started getting to me a little bit. Liz Reinhardt is a phenomenal author and I'm glad I get to read her books!

In this second installment of the Brenna Blixen novel - by the way, don't you just love that name? - Brenna made the biggest mistake of her life. She broke up with Jake...for Saxon. Brenna was miserable but so was Jake. Saxon was in love with Brenna and he hoped that she would learn to love him, too. Unfortunately, what Brenna had with Jake was true love, therefore, Saxon had no chance. Ouch.

Brenna went to Paris with her mom and unexpectedly, Saxon was there with his mom. Typical Saxon, he would aggravate Brenna as much as he could. However, Brenna saw in him what no one else did - he was strangely misunderstood. He purposely did the things he did because of his upbringing. He didn't know anything else. For most of the book, I felt bad for Saxon. I hoped that he would find love in this second book, but he only ended up drunk and passed out. Here's to hoping that he really would get his chance on the third book *cross fingers*.

Brenna broke Jake's heart so Jake purposely hurt her in the only way he knew how: sleeping with other women. This time, it was this girl Nikki who was absolutely a mess. Fortunately, Brenna and Jake got back together after she had a scare with pneumonia, went to prom, and resumed where they left off. I LOVE that they communicate so well with each other. It made me wish that my next relationship would be somewhat the same - with open communication. It is what builds a strong relationship. I truly admire them both, and they're only in high school!

In this book, the big secret was revealed. It turned out, Jake knew all along. In Chapter 22, Saxon and Jake sounded like Damon and Stefan from the Vampire Diaries TV show! Anyway, towards the end of the book, Jake hinted about a decision that might change everything, or make them stronger. I can't wait to read the third book and find out!

Before you read my favorite quotes/scenes, I only had one small dislike (as with all the books I read), there were very minimal spelling/word errors. Fortunately, the book was so good, I just ignored them. Although, I saw the first mistake as I was reading the very first page. Just a thought for editing :)

Favorite quotes/scenes in order of occurrence.
This first quote hit home for me. I've heard the same words said to me, and it had the same effect to Brenna: it broke both our hearts.
Jake: "Whatever. Take care of yourself. I guess I'll see you around."
Saxon: "Because I saw his fucking love-struck face, Brenna. I saw the two of you. Why am I even bothering? Seriously, get the hell out of my car."
Jake: "You ripped me up." There was no malice or accusation in his words, and that made it feel like I had swallowed a bear trap. It was just us in the hall with his words stacked between us, naked strong. "I'm probably still not really over you and everything that happened. But I've been doing things, saying things that I hoped would hurt you, and that's dick. That's a sad-sack excuse for the way I acted, though. You'll always be someone I care about and admire. So, I'm sorry. If I hurt you, if I made you upset. I'm honestly sorry, Brenna."
Saxon: (he was picking up Brenna to go to dinner, then the Folly concert) "Holy shit. Seriously, let's hit your bedroom. Now."
Saxon: "Don't talk circles around me, Blix. You like me too much to tell me the truth, don't you? Oh my fucking god, I've moved into the damn friend zone."
Saxon: "I made a fool out of myself over you for weeks, and shame the fuck on me, because you were never into this, were you? Were you?"
Jake: "I've never, ever been so mad at anyone in my life, Bren. But I can't help missing you. I've never had anyone in my life like you. I've been trying to tell you for the last few days...that I want to be friends. Not just in that cheesy way people say it when they don't mean it. I want to talk to you sometimes. I don't want to spend every day in class avoiding each other."
Saxon: "The look on your face when he walks into the room? That's love, Bren. I can't compete with that no matter how many times I jerk you off in my car. I know why I worked for you. I'm glad it lasted while it did."
Jake: "He's smart. I mean, he's like a genius. And he's loyal, in a weird way. And he's good-looking, I guess. I mean, I know girls find him attractive. Or whatever." He shook his head. "It's pretty weird sitting in your room defending fucking Saxon of all people."
Brenna's Mom: "It's just these kids are raised text messaging. Their syntax is abysmal. Please promise me you'll never spell the word 'before' with the numeral four."
I love video games so this next quote was a definite favorite!
Jake: "This is Little Big Planet. Have you ever played this game? This game is the most amazing game in the world. This game will change your life. Are you ready to play this game? Brenna, stop laughing. Are you ready?"
This next one is cliche, but I love how Liz explained WHY :)
Jake: "You look great no matter what, but I love you without makeup on. You look so beautiful and, I guess I feel like I get to see you in a way no other guy gets to."
Jake: "Hey. Today started out pretty awesome. Let's skip, I'll take you to the new Christian Bale movie so you can squeal over him and then I'll take you back to my place and you can calm my bruised ego. Eh? Eh?"
Jake: "Come under the covers with me. I'm freezing."
Brenna: "You're the moron who just took off all of your clothes."
Jake: "So I'm dumb and cold. Take some pity on me. I'll beg."
Jake: "You have great hair."
Brenna: "Yeah? I was thinking of dyeing it black."
He smiled and shook his head.
Brenna: "What, you don't have anything to say?"
Jake: "No way. If I say what I think, you'll have black hair tomorrow just to spite me."
Jake: "Did I ever tell you I played the flutaphone when I was in third grade? My music teacher said I had real potential."
Jake was picking up Brenna to go to his prom.
Jake: "Holy shit." Jake's mouth swung open. Mom and Thorsten looked at him in surprise. "Sorry. Excuse me." Jake turned bright red. "But, seriously, wow. She looks amazing."
Jake talking about Nate - Brenna's date to the other prom.
Jake: "I'm going to stare him down. No contact, cause I'm not a psycho, but I am going to do a little eyeball intimidation."
Now you've read my awesome review. What are you waiting for? Go and buy the book. I'll even help you out and leave you links below!
Amazon
Barnes and Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment